Sunday, March 20, 2011

Review: The Vampire Voss

The Vampire Voss (Regency Draculia #1)The Vampire Voss by Colleen Gleason

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Goodreads: Regency London – a dizzying whirl of balls and young ladies pursued by charming men.

But the Woodmore sisters are hunted by a more sinister breed: Lucifer's own.

Voss, also known as Viscount Dewhurst, relishes the sensual pleasures immortality affords. A member the Dracule – a cabal of powerful, secretive noblemen marked with a talisman that reveals their bartered souls – the mercenary Voss has remained carefully neutral ... until Angelica.

Angelica Woodmore possess the Sight, an ability invaluable to both sides of a looming war among the Dracule. Her very scent envelops Voss in a scarlet fog of hunger – for her body and her blood. But he is utterly unprepared for the new desire that overcomes him – to protect her.

Now Voss must battle his very nature to be with Angelica ... but this vampire never backs down from a fight.

My Thoughts: I couldn't pass up a chance to read this book, the first in a new series...after all, historical romance and vampires in one book?! Sounds like my cup of tea. And it was, to an extent. I found this an interesting twist on the whole vampire story, and we learn about the Dracule, at least a bit. The story started out a bit slow, but once things got going it became a much more interesting and fun read. Voss does not start off very likable...compelling perhaps, but not truly likable. He's got one motivation, and that is himself. Angelica on the other hand, comes across pretty well throughout the book. She and her sister Maia have a lot thrown at them to deal with. Angelica's Gift has put her in the crossfire between a Dracule battle, thanks in part to her brother, who is a vampire hunter yet ran off with the sister of the evil vampire (they get their own book later). Voss comes around enough to help save Angelica, and battles between his desire for her and his inability to control himself around her. As I said, it's an interesting take on the vampire "curse" and how it's resolved in the end was much different than I expected. I'm curious to see if that same theme carries over into the rest of the series as how the conflicts between vampire and humans falling in love are resolved.

It was a good 1/3 of the way into the book, maybe half, before I felt I really got into the story. The ebook version I read was almost 400 pages, and it might have been able to be condensed some yet still give the reader enough back story on the Dracule, the characters and Voss & Angelica's story. That being said, I do sort of feel like there are parts to the history and world of the Dracule that I'm unclear on, but I suspect some of that will be cleared up in later books. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and I'm looking forward to reading the next two that are set for release this spring. We met the heroes and heroines in this book and started to get a feel for them...although I'm particularly interested in how they bring about the storyline in the 2nd book, the Vampire Dimitri.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment