Sunday, March 13, 2011

Review: The Spymaster's Lady

The Spymaster's LadyThe Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Goodreads: She's braved battlefields. She's stolen dispatches from under the noses of heads of state. She's played the worldly courtesan, the naïve virgin, the refined British lady, even a Gypsy boy. But Annique Villiers, the elusive spy known as the Fox Cub, has finally met the one man she can't outwit...

British spymaster Robert Grey must enter France and bring back the brilliant, beautiful-and dangerous-Fox Cub. His duty is to capture her and her secrets for England. When the two natural enemies are thrown into prison, they forge an uneasy alliance to break free. But their pact is temporary and betrayal seems inevitable as the fates of nations hang in the balance.

My thoughts: This was my first Joanna Bourne novel, and I'm slightly of mixed views as I've completed it. I think I will be seeking out a few more to make my final determination, but while I liked the book overall, there was something about it that keeps needling the back of my mind, and not necessarily in a good way. I do like the characters though, they are a unique, interesting and fun bunch to read about. In fact I'm hoping there are more books about this group, those are the ones I'll be looking for. Interesting plot turns kept me guessing. I think there was something about the writing style that is what needles me, it just didn't quite flow as well as I would have liked it too. That however, didn't keep me from enjoying it, and thinking that there were some pretty great characters in this book. Strong heroes, heroines, loyal, conflicted, altogether likable, it was a good weekend read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment