Monday, March 14, 2011

Review: It Happened One Season - Anthology

I'll say upfront that I'm normally not a big fan of anthologies. Sure, there's usually one or two good stories from one of my favorite authors, but overall, I plan on about a 50% favorability rating. Needless to say though, when I saw the authors involved in It Happened One Season I was pretty intrigued...how can you go wrong with Stephanie Laurens, Mary Balogh, Jacquie D'Allessandro and Candace Hern?! Yet while I love all 4 of these historical romance authors, I was a bit concerned because all the stories were to have the same basic plot (based on a reader contest):

A couple, who have never met before, accidentally meet during a ball while clandestinely searching for the same thing in a room of the host's home. There is an immediate attraction even though the man is considered a scoundrel and the lady is considered "on the shelf" because she is too outspoken and smart. They agree to work together to find what they both want, but there is someone who is determined to prevent them from doing so.

I will say though, that I was pleasantly surprised. While all 4 stories had some similarities to them, I never felt like I was re-reading the same story. I found that I really enjoyed all the contributions, particularly the references back to some of their other stories and characters (most of which I've read...nice, but totally not necessary).  It was a good mix of heroes and heroines and at times plot lines that would either make you laugh out loud, smile, or slightly fall in love. I'd definitely recommend It Happened One Season, and if you're aren't familiar with all 4 authors, this is a great anthology to try someone new.

No comments:

Post a Comment