Sunday, August 14, 2011

Review: Linnette, The Lioness

Linnette, The Lioness
Linnette, The Lioness by Lavinia Kent

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


From Goodreads: Regency England just got real(ity)

Episode 2: The One with the Fake Baby

Rumors abound – everyone has heard that Linnette, the Dowager Duchess of Doveshire is pregnant. Beautiful, young, with more freedom than any respectable woman should want, Linnette is no stranger to a little gossip. But her friends can’t help her brave the fallout, because this time Linnette has done something naughty…

My Thoughts: Another of the Avon Impulse line of novellas, this is a quick read that continues Kent's "Real Duchesses" series. Having not read the first, I did feel as though I was missing out on some backstory, but it was manageable to keep moving forward.

For a novella, there was decent character development, but I think the biggest downside to not reading the first installment was learning about the characters. While a novella, since this is a series you learn a lot about each of the women more and more in each book I think.

This is a take on the separated lovers theme and it was interesting, I just didn't feel like I got enough of the story to really get into and feel for the characters. That's nothing to do with the story or writing, which are both good,but more to do with the novella format I think. However, if you have a short amount of time, this is an enjoyable, quick read, and I do look forward to reading the next in the series to see how it continues.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment