Friday, April 15, 2011

Review: Eleven Scandals To Start To Win A Duke's Heart

From Goodreads: Bold, impulsive, and a magnet for trouble, Juliana Fiori is no simpering English miss. She refuses to play by society's rules: she speaks her mind, cares nothing for the approval of the ton, and can throw a punch with remarkable accuracy. Her scandalous nature makes her a favorite subject of London's most practiced gossips...and precisely the kind of woman the Duke of Leighton wants far far away from him.

He swears by reputation.

Scandal is the last thing Simon Pearson has room for in his well-ordered world. The Duke of Disdain is too focused on keeping his title untainted and his secrets unknown. But when he discovers Juliana hiding in his carriage late one evening--risking everything he holds dear--he swears to teach the reckless beauty a lesson in propriety.

She has other plans, however; she wants two weeks to prove that even an unflappable duke is not above passion

 
My thoughts: Juliana is a great heroine...she has her struggles, her issues, but she's also very strong and very independent, particularly when thrown into a situation (new family, managing the Ton) beyond her planning, desire or control.  Simon is also a fabulous hero...he most definitely has a passionate streak, but his need to do his duty by his family, above all else, has been driven into him since such an early age that it overrides (at least often overrides) his own desires.  Juliana and Simon are a perfect match though, as they bring out the best and the worst in each other, trying to find that middle ground.  I enjoyed their story very much.  Characters (and story lines) from other books were woven in well to bring everything together, and this was a fitting end to the siblings' stories.


I can't begin to describe how excited I was to dive into this book.  I think my only disappointment when I was done was that I was done...and the trilogy was complete.  I thought this was a great finale, although I'm left hoping there are more books to come involving some of the other side characters, because I'm left feeling like some stories were left out.  If I had one complaint, it's that I didn't feel like things were wrapped up when it came to the storyline involving the mother...that one still feels like it's hanging out there.  Overall though, this is a fabulous trilogy of books and I'm looking forward to seeing what MacLean publishes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment