Saturday, February 12, 2011

Review: What I Did For A Duke - Julie Anne Long

What I did for A Duke is the fifth book in Long's Pennyroyal Green series, and the first that I've read. I have to say, I'm now a fan and will need to look up the first 4 of the series (and perhaps the rest of her extensive backlist) from the local library.  I found her writing fun and spunky, with great exchanges between the characters.  I found myself laughing and smiling as I was reading, which I think drove my husband a bit crazy wondering what was so funny.

Genevieve Eversea is the youngest daughter of the notorious Eversea family.  Misunderstood by all, or perhaps underestimated by all, she appears as the calm, kind, voice of reason within the family.  That is the case until the dark Duke of Falconbridge arrives on the Eversea doorstep, intending to extract his revenge on Genevieve's brother, Ian, using Genevieve to do so.  This plan falls apart quickly, as the Duke finds himself actually liking Genevieve, who is much more than she appears.  The Duke even helps Genevieve attract the attention of the young lord she loves from afar, her old friend Harry.  Their relationship, however, continues to evolve as Genevieve begins to realize what it is she really wants and that it isn't always possible to make everyone happy.

What ensues is a fun story, light, but as I said before, with fun dialogue and interactions--between the Duke and Genevieve, but also as the Duke tortures poor Ian.  There was just enough backstory teases to make me seek out the previous books, and enough siblings left to make me look forward to those yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment