Thursday, September 16, 2010

National Library Card Sign-Up Month

September is National Library Card Sign-Up Month.  I LOVE libraries.  LOVE LOVE LOVE.  In fact I don't think I can say that enough.  I hadn't been visiting my local library system much the past year or two, but over the past six months I've rediscovered how awesome they are.  All those books!  Free!  Available for the borrowing...ahh, it's wonderful.  I have to admit, the Des Moines library system rocks for any number of reasons.  My favorite though, is the pure convenience.  I can go online and request a book (place a hold) and they will pull that book and reserve it for me at whichever location I choose.  Then, when I get a chance, I just swing by and pick up my book(s).  When I am spending a lot of time downtown, I reserve over at the Central branch.  Up at Drake, the Forest Ave. branch.  It just doesn't get more convenient than that. 


Even beyond the books and the opportunities to lose yourself in the pages of a new author or new genre, libraries offer amazing services and programs.  Libraries are too often overlooked for the many services they provide to the community, and are dramatically underfunded.  If you don't have a library card for your local library, swing on by and check it out!  It's free, it's easy, and you'll be surprised at all the library has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. We've started trying to go to the library every other week. Kate loves it -- I love getting the books to read, but taking an almost 4 year old inside presents *some* challenges!

    ReplyDelete