Friday, September 10, 2010

Ape House

I'm so excited for Sara Gruen's new book Ape House.  Released just this past week, it's been getting some good reviews (see here and here and here).  The book's inspiration is located right here in good old Des Moines...the bonobos at the Great Ape Trust.  Gruen launched her book in Des Moines, with a free event as part of the Des Moines Public Library's AVID Series.  It was nice to get a chance to hear an author talk about her book, the work that went into it, and to learn more about the fascinating and amazing bonobos.  My book club had previously read Gruen's Water for Elephants, and a group of us went to the release event.  I picked up a copy there of Ape House to add to my TBR pile.

  
More than anything, I'm looking forward to reading about the bonobos.  The video we saw of the Great Ape Trust was my first real insight into what the Trust does.  Even though I knew it was here in Des Moines and has been for several years, it's not something that we hear about often.  I hope that the book helps bring some much needed support for the Trust, and for protecting and learning from the Great Apes.

No comments:

Post a Comment