Monday, August 6, 2018

Review: Improper Cross Stitch - Haley Pierson-Cox


Improper Cross-Stitch


*Update* - I just discovered the author, Haley Pierson-Cox has a craft-related podcast!  You can check it out here


Not Your Grandma's Cross-Stitch....

I'm a big fan of non-traditional cross-stitch.  I stumbled across a website a few years ago that inspired me to pick up the craft, and I quickly got hooked!  It's a very portable craft, something I can take with me easily when traveling, and depending on the pattern can be a quick way to satisfy my crafty side.  I'm not terribly artistic or creative, but I like things that give me a pattern to follow...cross-stitch is perfect for me in this way!  If I can do it, then anyone can :)  I'll have to post a few of my favorite personal creations on here later...

Improper Cross-Stitch starts with the basics for the newbie...I wish I would have had this when I started.  The website I used was great, but having something to review in my hands would have made it so much easier.  I also bought some supplies initially I didn't need or were wrong sizes, and this basic tutorial can prevent you from making my mistakes!

The preview copy I received was electronic and thus I didn't get to review all the patterns or see them in great detail.  I can say though that the ones I saw made me laugh out loud (most of the time), go awww (a few times), yell "YES" (several times), and generally make me think of a person I would make each one for in an instant.

Patterns in this book are creative...maybe not always in the "words" but how they are portrayed between the words used and the rest of the pictures or context provided absolutely make them entertaining.  I'm going to add this to my Christmas list for the coming year so that I can actually make several of these patterns myself!  In truth, I might not be able to wait until Christmas and may have to sneak in a purchase well before then...I can justify it as a Christmas present for others since I'll be making several as gifts (wine and cats and squad goals are two I saw for sure)!

Added bonus: a section of various alphabets for customizing creations and a section on designing your own patterns (for those of you with more artistic and creative skills than me!).

I'm excited to see the whole book and all of the patterns here upon its release, and think this would be a great library addition for a newbie or old pro when it comes to cross-stitch.

*Preview copy provided by publisher through Netgalley*
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment