Monday, December 4, 2017

Review: It's Hard Out Here For A Duke (Maya Rodale)

It's Hard Out Here for a Duke (Keeping Up with the Cavendishes, #4)From Goodreads: In the fourth novel of Maya Rodale’s tantalizing series, a newly minted duke spends one night with his perfect woman...but can he win her for a lifetime

Some Mistakes…

When American-born James Cavendish arrives in London tomorrow, he’ll become the Duke of Durham. Some might be ecstatic at the opportunity. Not James. He’s a simple man, fond of simple pleasures. And right now, nothing could be more pleasurable than spending his last night of freedom with a beautiful stranger.

Are Far Too Good…

One wild night, Meredith Green, companion to the dowager Duchess of Durham, said yes to a man she thought she’d never see again. Suddenly, they’re living under the same roof, where Meredith is expected to teach James how to be a duke—while trying not to surrender to temptation a second time.

To Be Forgotten

For a duke and a commoner, marriage would be pure scandal. Yet nothing has ever felt as right as having Meredith in his arms…and in his bed. Soon he must choose—between a duty he never desired, and a woman he longs for, body and soul…



~*~*~*~*~

My Thoughts: I started this book one night when I couldn't sleep...and that was a huge mistake as it turns out I also could not put the book down.  This has been a fun series, and I've been waiting for this final book to turn to the story of James and Meredith.  You catch glimpses of potential story of these two characters in other books, but the focus on them in this story was much more enjoyable and emotional than I expected.

James is the unplanned Duke, and the previous books focused on his sisters and their trials and tribulations meshing with British society.  This book in particular though really brought out the emotions of this situation...the love and frustration between the family members, their struggles, sense of duty to each other and the situation, and just a well done story of the pain that love sometimes puts a person through.

It's a romance novel and you now there isn't really any option other than a HEA in the end.  This one though, I found myself wondering if the happy ever after I envisioned was going to be the end result.  I found myself actually crying at points in this book, not a normal situation for when I read this genre. 

All in all, I'd say Ms. Rodale is quickly moving up the list of authors I will seek out.  From start to finish I was hooked in the story, in the emotions and the characters.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment