Monday, October 22, 2012

Review: Shadow of Night


Shadow of Night
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I devoured Shadow of Night, the second in Deborah Harness' trilogy. I very much enjoyed it, but while it left me wanting, it wasn't for quite the same reasons as Book One did. This one left MAJOR gaps in the story that were mentioned without any explanation provided by the end of the book. It's clear (at least in my mind, ha!) that Book 3 will be set back in the present and cover the time that Diana and Matthew are gone and then once they return until the story wraps up, but the brief glimpses we see of present time events affecting the group at Sept-Tours end up being a distraction rather than a teaser or addition to the story.

The rest of the story is good, if not a bit long perhaps. Great world-building, great relationship-building, great cast of supporting characters. A great read and I look forward to seeing the trilogy wrap up. Easily 3.5-4 stars and another recommended read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment