Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Book Club

Adding a baby to our lives has been wonderful...crazy, exhausting, terrifying, but absolutely wonderful.  Book club has been one of the things that has fallen by the wayside many times over the past 8 months unfortunately.  I'm hoping now that he's a bit older that I'll be up for getting away once a month (assuming we can stay healthy - last month's book club was a miss due to me coming down with shingles).

This month we are reading Mennonite in A Little Black Dress, which I think could be a great read.   next month is one of my recommendations - The Language of Flowers.  That one is already sitting on the shelf and I'm determined to get it done!  I've made it through at least part of two others over the past few months - Wild, by Cheryl Strayed (my first audible.com book - I'm still evaluating (and trying to finish!)) and Defending Jacob by William Landay.  Defending Jacob is very different from what I expected...disturbing on a number of levels, and I'm not sure I can even fully articulate all the reasons why.  This was one of the few times I can ever remember though reading the end of the book out of order.  The book is divided in to four "parts" and I read part 4 before I was quite through part 2.  Not AT ALL what I expected.  While I haven't quite finished part 3, I'm still determined to finish the book to see how it all got to the finale. My rating of the book overall is a bit mixed, but I have to say it's well written and that the author gets an A+ when it comes to keeping the reader guessing when it comes to the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment