Friday, March 18, 2011

Review: Driftwood Cottage

Driftwood Cottage (Chesapeake Shores, #5)Driftwood Cottage by Sherryl Woods

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

From Goodreads: Single mom Heather Donovan's dreams of home and family are tantalizingly within reach when she settles in Chesapeake Shores. The welcoming arms of the boisterous, loving O'Brien clan embrace her and her son. But accepting their support seems to further alienate her son's father, Connor O'Brien. His parents' divorce and his career as a high-powered divorce attorney have left him jaded about marriage.

Then everything changes. Will the possibility of a future without Heather make Connor look at love and his career differently? Heather's just about given up on her old dreams—of love, of family and especially of Driftwood Cottage, the home she secretly wishes were hers. It's going to take a lot of persuasion—and some help from the O'Brien family—to make Heather believe that some dreams are worth fighting for.

My Thoughts: The first Sherryl Woods book I ever read was "A Chesapeake Shores Christmas", which was my introduction both to her writing and to the O'Brien family. My review of that book (#4 in the series) emphasized the point that it was just such a "nice story". When I saw the chance to read the next in the series, Driftwood Cottage, I couldn't resist. I found that I really liked the O'Brien family, and there had been enough lead in to Connor and Heather's story (the focus of Driftwood Cottage) that I just HAD to find out how they got their Happy Ever After.

Of all the O'Brien kids, Connor is the one who took his parents divorce, and subsequent remarriage, the hardest. A top-notch, tough as nails divorce lawyer, he had sworn never to marry. He even went so far as to hide the fact he had a long-time live-in girlfriend and a son from his family. That secret was blown to pieces in the previous book, and his life is turned upside down when Heather leaves him. In Driftwood Cottage, we see Heather working to begin a life on her own, doing so in Chesapeake Shores, the home of the O'Briens.

There is never any doubt in either of the two Woods books I've read that there is going to be a HEA. Yet how the couples in question get to that point is done in such a way to keep it interesting, and reflects a good amount of emotion and drama and family life that smacks as true. The O'Briens are amazing meddlers in each other's lives, yet there's always the undercurrent of love in all their actions.

Not only did I enjoy Connor and Heather's story in Driftwood Cottage, but I enjoyed getting a sneak peak at the next two couples whose stories are yet to come. Like I said, there's no surprises here about who couples will end up with, or will they end up together, but how they get there is done in a way that keeps the reader interested and leaves you feeling good when the book is done. This is not my typical type of book or author, but I'm looking forward to the next installments of the O'Brien family story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment